Search This Blog

Saturday 2 February 2019

Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts Review


Marvel fans while the company isn't releasing any new movies or TV shows just yet there is something new from the company and this was something even I forgot was happening. I admit I forgot all about this but that's because i've had alot of reviews to do so something was always going to slip through the cracks and since i've reviewed the other projects from the Marvel Rising series it makes sense to me to review this latest one and yes I will also be reviewing the other special when ever that comes out so here is my review of Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts.

The basic plot of this special is Ghost Spider is still on the hunt for whoever killed her friend and in order to help stop the bad guy she needs the help of the secret warriors. Yeah there's not much in terms of plot here and that makes sense since this is a twenty two minuet special but it also means alot of the story gets rushed and that makes me think why wasn't this the plot to the Marvel Rising movie since it would have worked better there.


All of the characters in this special are played by the same people who played them in other Marvel Rising projects. So starring in this special is Dee Bradley Baker as Lockjaw and Tippy-Toe , Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson , Kathreen Khavari as Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel , Kamil McFadden as Rayshaun Lucas / Patriot , Tyler Posey as Dante Pertuz / Inferno , Cierra Ramirez as America Chavez , Booboo Stewart as Victor Kohl / Exile , Milana Vayntrub as Doreen Green / Squirrel Girl and Dove Cameron as Gwen Stacy / Ghost-Spider.

Yes I know that's a huge cast list and I know that i've not listed the person who plays the main villain and that's because I can't find out who played her. As for my thoughts on the acting as a whole for a twenty two minuet special it wasn't that bad I get the feeling that every single Marvel Rising animated project was recorded at the same time because the acting here is alot better then what it was in the shorts that got released last year but I could be wrong.


Now I have no idea who did the animation for this special but logic dictates that it was whoever did the animation both for the movie and for the shorts. If that is the case then I can say that I prefer the animation in the movie just because with the movie I felt like they actually had a budget where as here that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It's not bad animation by any means but it's not the best animation that has the Marvel name to it.

I said this at the start of the review but I feel like this story could have been better told if it was the plot of the movie just because it would have allowed the story more time to breathe but as it is it has to get to all of these plot points pretty quickly. I understand that in the movie they had to set up the secret warriors but that could have been a story running along side this one but what do I know i'm just a guy who watches alot of movies and TV shows.


This special in my eyes was so poorly promoted I only found one teaser for the special and nothing else. That to me is a bad idea since it says that Disney is just banking on the Marvel name alone and as was proved with Solo you can't really do that you need to let people know that you have this thing coming out otherwise again as was proven with Solo they just won't watch it so i'm hoping that the next and so far final special gets more effort put into it's promotion literally anything will do just as long as people know that it's coming out on a certain date.

Now I don't know if you've noticed this or not but the above picture isn't from the special it's actually from the secret warriors movie. That's because there actually aren't any images from this special released I should know because as i'm writing this review i'm searching Google for more images I can use again this comes down to poor marketing if Disney marketed this special like they would a feature length film then all of what I said wouldn't be an issue at all.


Since this is a superhero special set in the Marvel world that means we have to talk about the action in the special. Honestly the action like alot of things in this special including the humour is very lacklustre it's not bad by any means but it's not good either not helping is the fact that we don't get to see alot of the action a fair amount of it happens off screen and that's not something you want in an action special. 

They spend a fair bit of the special building up this special move that the warriors are learning and in the third act when they start to do it even tho we find out that they pulled it of we never see it that's just bad story telling right there and it's something that should have been seen since it was part of a sub-plot.


Overall this special like the action was very lacklustre just everything about it that could have been average is average except from the acting so thank god the next special is going to be forty four minuets because it really does need to be close to an hour to tell a good story this special scores a 4 out of 10 from me.





No comments:

Post a Comment