Search This Blog

Friday 3 July 2020

Warrior Nun : Psalms 46:5 Review


Comic book fans there have been so many comic book shows and movies released in the past ten or so years so it was only a matter of time before Netflix got in on the action and they got in hard because they have two comic book adaptations coming out in the space of a week. I'll be the first to admit that I no nothing about the original source material that this show is based of and so i'm only judging this as an episode of a TV show and not as an adaptation and so here is my review of the Warrior Nun pilot episode "Psalms 46:5" enjoy.

The plot of the episode is a young girl called Ava wakes up in a morgue with a strange embedded in her back and that's really all the story I got out of the episode. Yeah for a pilot episode is very lacking in actual story instead just having random things happen for no reason which oddly makes the episode pretty boring to watch and the very thin story only serves to make that point even more in my humble opinion.


Starring in this episode and thus the rest of the series are Alba Baptista as Ava and Tristán Ulloa as Father Vincent. Also starring in both this episode and the show are Kristina Tonteri-Young as Sister Beatrice , Lorena Andrea as Sister Lilith , Toya Turner as Shotgun Mary , Thekla Reuten as Jillian Salvius , Sylvia De Fanti as Mother Superion , Emilio Sakraya as J.C. , Olivia Delcán as Sister Camila , Joaquim De Almeida as Cardinal Duretti , May Simón Lifschitz as Chanel , Dimitri Abold as Randall and Charlotte Vega as Zori.

Now i'll admit that not all of the actors listed appear in this episode but because I have a bad memory and because the official fandom page for the show as well as the Wikipedia page for the show are useless i'm listing every actor who's in the show. The acting for me rather understandably felt a little bland which I do understand why since this is the first episode of a TV show and so of course the acting isn't going to be that good and so here's hoping that it gets better as the show goes on.


This show is adapted from Warrior Nun Areala a 1994 comic book written by Ben Dunn and published by Antarctic Press. I have no idea what was adapted from the book and what wasn't since until a few weeks ago I hadn't heard of the book but I do find it interesting that a very unknown comic book is getting a TV adaptation from Netflix when it would have been much easier for them to go with something a little more well known.

Just based of this first episode I see nothing that makes this show perfect for Netflix you could have aired this on HBO and you would loose nothing. To me if your airing a show on Netflix then you better have something that pushes the boundaries otherwise what's the point and here there is none of that it looks just like a show you'd find on any network and the things that they show are the things that you'd find on any network.


Now there is something that I did like about the episode and that was it's use of what I assume to be practical effects. I say assume because they look really good and given how good TV CGI can be it could be CGI but if they do use practical effects in this episode then they look really good and it wasn't something that I was expecting to see as such I was pleasantly surprised when I good practical effect showed up very early in the episode.



This show does what alot of bad pilot episode do and that's not start up storylines for the rest of the show. Which I have to say is honestly putting me of watching the rest of the show because why should I watch something if there's no story to it I honestly have to reason to go and watch episode 2 because there's nothing plot wise that makes me want to watch the rest of the show which for a pilot episode is always a bad thing.

What I didn't like was the episode's pacing which yeah I really freaking bad honestly even tho this episode is fifty minuets long it feels so much longer then that and that's because scenes just drag on and on. As well as having scenes that go nowhere and add up to nothing I honestly don't see why this episode had to be fifty minuets long when there's only enough story for at least twenty two to thirty minuets.


Since this is an action show that does mean that we have to talk about the action that's in this very episode. I honestly didn't mind the action in this episode at all if anything it showed how much potential that the series had since the action is actually pretty fun and creative it's just a shame that the rest of the episode is a chore to get through since those fun action scenes are very few and far between with the rest of the episode being spent with the characters just doing random stuff.



Overall in terms of first episodes this is most likely one of the worst ones that i've seen in a long freaking time. For all of the reasons that i've listed and then some but with that being said there are times when this episode does show potential it's just a shame that you have to sit through long scenes where nothing happens as such this episode gets a 5 out of 10 from me and I was forced to use images from other episodes just because the fandom page for this show is pretty freaking bad.

Images used in this review were gathered from either the Warrior Nun TV series fandom wiki page or in the case of The Old Guard poster Google images. I really don't have a joke in mind here just because the episode was so bad but yeah if you don't use either of these sites or don't like high quality images then I will force you to watch this episode for hours on end with no break inbetween viewings so yeah that's the best joke I got.







 


No comments:

Post a Comment