Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 June 2020

Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck And I Love To Singa Review


Looney Tunes fans I told you that i'd be back with another review and well i'm a man of my word and i've picked out two really good cartoons for this review. I'll be the first to admit that "Duck Amuck" is perhaps one of my all time favourite cartoons out there just due to how insane and funny it is and i've honestly never seen "I Love To Singa" all the way through since it just just doesn't do anything for me and so here is my review of both of those cartoons cartoon fans enjoy. 

The plot of Duck Amuck is Daffy is trying to make a cartoon only for him to be constantly outwitted by an unseen animator and in I Love To Singa the plot is a young Owl just wants to sing Jazz but his classical loving family won't let him. Plot wise I honestly enjoyed I love To Singa more just because the story was really strong and was really well done where as in Duck Amuck there wasn't much there in terms of story in my opinion.


Starring in I love To Singa is Tommy Bond as Owl Jolson , Billy Bletcher as Father , Martha Wentworth as Mother and Tedd Pierce as Jack Bunny. In terms of what I thought about the acting in this short it was pretty decent at best there's not much spoken dialog so it's hard for me to really get a grip on the quality of the acting but from little lines of dialog there are in the short the acting seems OK at best in my opinion.

Starring in Duck Amuck is the late and the always great Mel Blanc as both Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny. This was honestly the easiest cast list i've had to write up because it's just him as for what I thought about the acting tho it's really freaking good this is a real tour de force for Mel as like I said it's just him and he really does deliver easily going from Daffy to Bugs in the blink of an eye which is something that only he could do.


Animating Duck Amuck was Ken Harris , Ben Washam and Lloyd Vaughan , I know that alot more people worked on this short but those are the only three credited and so to stop myself from going insane i'm only crediting those three. In my opinion the animation in this short is so freaking good everything from the ever changing backgrounds to Daffy's acting just sell me on the fact that's he's getting more and more annoyed at the animator.

Now I didn't know this going into this review but doing the animation for I Love To Singa is Looney Tunes legend Chuck Jones here credited as Charles Jones and Virgil Ross. While I love the animation in Duck Amuck to me the animation in this short looks like something that should have been in a feature length film because it's that good in my opinion , heck alot of the animation reminded me of the Disney version of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs that's how good it was in my opinion.


Like most Warner Bros cartoons made at the time this one was basically made to be a music video featuring songs from the classic Warner Bros music library. As a music video I would have rated this very highly hell I would even have recommended it to a few people but as a short film on it's own I can't really do that since there's nothing there in terms of a character and by that I mean you never get a sense of any kind of personality from these characters at all.

This isn't really an issue with Duck Amuck since we've had countless cartoons up until this point to get to know Daffy. As such we know how he would react in certain situations or how certain directors would handle the character but with I Love To Singa you don't have have that advantage and so you have to give us the personality of the characters as well as tell a good story and while it does indeed tell a good story it doesn't give the characters any kind of personality.


I honestly like that the kind of made Bugs the bad guy of Duck Amuck even tho he is basically just pulling a prank on Daffy seeing this evil side to him oddly makes me wonder if he's actually a villainous character. Think about it we always see his cartoons from his point of view where his antics are always seen as funny but if you flip that and make the cartoons about the people that Bugs is up against those cartoons could very easily show Bug's in his true nature as the bad guy I could very well be looking deep into something that's not there but it's worth thinking about tho in my own honest opinion.


Now then let's take a second to talk about the jokes in these shorts because these are comedies and so it makes sense. I honestly didn't mind the jokes in both shorts while I will always find Duck Amuck to be the funnier of the two shorts that doesn't mean that I Love To Singa isn't funny in fact there are some good jokes in there but there's a lot more bad ones as well in my personal opinion which is a shame because when you see a good one it can be quite funny.


Overall I still feel that Duck Amuck is one of the greatest cartoons out there since it is so freaking funny. That being said tho I Love To Singa does have alot going for it as well like the animation being fantastic but that's really all that it has going for it since there's nothing there that to me screams classic Looney Tunes and while I can indeed see this being some people's favourites i'm not one of them and so even tho both shorts have alot of faults which have been discussed in this review Duck Amuck gets a 9.5 out of 10 from me and I Love To Singa gets a 5 out of 10 from me there's only one way to end this review THAT'S ALL FOLKS!.











No comments:

Post a Comment