Search This Blog

Saturday 30 November 2019

Iron Man: Rise of Technovore Dub Review


Marvel and Anime fans yesterday I reviewed one of the Marvel anime films and well it only made sense that today I review the first anime film made by the company. I'll admit that I was kind of dreading this film since I did see it when it first came out and I remember it being pretty bad and pretty boring and so then boys and girls here is my review of the first Marvel anime film Iron Man: Rise of Technovore.

The plot of the movie is someone is looking to replace the human race with some form of new technology and so it's up a revenge filled Tony Stark to put a stop to it before it's far to late. In terms of what I thought about the story it's actually better then Avengers Confidential since it's actually something that couldn't be done in an episode of the Iron Man anime but at the same time it was still a fairly bad story.


Starring in the movie is Daryl From The Walking Dead as The Punisher/Frank Castle , Matthew Mercer as Iron Man/Tony Stark , Eric Bauza as Ezekiel Stane and Technovore , Kate Higgins as Pepper Potts , James C. Mathis as War Machine/Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes , Kari Wahlgren as Maria Hill , Clare Grant as Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff , Troy Baker as Hawkeye/Clint Barton and J.A.R.V.I.S. , Tara Platt as Sasha Hammer , JB Blanc as Obadiah Stane and John Eric Bentley as Nick Fury.

I just had to make a Walking Dead reference because I knew that if I didn't i'd get spammed with comments saying that Norman Reedus is in The Walking Dead and yes I know he was also in Blade 2 before you all say anything. I have to say that the cast for this film was far better then the cast in Avengers Confidential altho I still cannot buy John Eric Bentley as Nick Fury he just doesn't sound like Fury to me but performance wise everyone was really solid.


As with the previous film the animation was handled by let's be honest anime giants Madhouse and if you've seen my review of Avengers Confidential then you'll know just a handful of the stuff that they've worked on and I just found out they worked on Highschool Of The Dead which is cool. As for the animation in this film I personally didn't think it was as good as the animation in Avengers Confidential but it was passable at best which for Madhouse isn't a good thing.


Unlike the last film, which had alot of shots where Natasha's b**bs where clearly the focus that actually isn't the case here. Don't get me wrong she still wears outfits that show them off but there never the focus of the shot infact half the time you can't even see them which honestly works better since it allows you to focus more on the film rather then a characters chest and it's something that Avengers Confidential could have learned from.

To me if both films swapped their stories around then both would have been better of for it because the plot of this movie feels more like a Black Widow plot and the plot of the Avengers anime feels alot more like an Iron Man plot. I know that sounds weird but I honestly feel that the plot used for this movie would have suited Natasha and Punisher more then the plot that they had in the Avengers movie.


I know i'm mentioning the Avengers anime alot but the team up of Black Widow and Punisher really did work for that film. However here they have Tony team up with him and it just doesn't work there's no chemistry between the characters there at all even tho the team up is only for a few scenes but it's enough to know that this team just don't really work together and aren't as fun to see on screen.

Let us take a second to talk about Tony Stark he's always been a character that when push comes to shove will always do the right thing. So I have to wonder why Nick Fury is stopping him from going after a killer which not only fits in with his character somewhat but given that he's just seen his friend get killed is clearly not thinking straight so it would have helped the situation even more if Nick had left Tony alone because he would have come back to him in the end because he always does the right thing.


I don't know what it is with these Marvel anime films and really bad villains we've had two anime films and they've both had weak villains. the villain in this film Ezekiel Stane is really weak we don't find out why he's villain he has no motivation for being a villain he's only a bad guy because the plot demands that he be one and that's in and that's not good enough for any kind of medium be it anime or whatever a villain needs motive and reason as to why they are the villain and when you don't give us any of those then the villain comes of looking weaker and less interesting then your main hero when they should be just as interesting as the hero.

This movie is boring as all hell I don't know how in the hell you make an Iron Man movie boring but this movie found away. Alot of the boredom comes from the fact that the villain just isn't that fun to watch but also because in terms of actual story there's not that much there which is why it would have made a better Black Widow story since then you could have a mystery angle to lean into to but without that you end with a thinly drawn plot and an uninteresting villain which honestly made the film feel like a chore to sit through alot of the time.


Since this is an action movie that does mean that we have to talk about the action that's seen within the film itself. Which quite like alot of things in this movie isn't that good don't get me wrong the action can indeed be fun at times but I honestly got the impression that it was missing that extra something that I can't quite put my finger on maybe it would have been better if we saw more heroes take part in the action scenes instead of just two or three and Tony's introduction scene would have been better if there was a rock song playing over it or even a rock instrumental but that's just what I think.


Overall I honestly prefer Avengers Confidential to this film since it takes alot of the things that this film does but does them better. I would however fully understand if people preferred this film but from what I could gather not alot of fans nor critics like this movie and it's very easy to see why and what I think is a very rare thing but this film actually doesn't have a critics score on Rotten Tomatoes but it does have an audience score of 34% and it's not hard to see why and so this film gets a 5 out of 10 from me.










No comments:

Post a Comment